Sunday, 20 July 2014

Pins and Needles and update!

Hi all!

Sorry it's been a while since my last post! Been very busy but have now sat down to write!
Here's a quick medical update...
About two months ago, I noticed a tingle in my left hand. Not thinking anything of it, I naturally ignored it. I noticed that it was still there, some days, then some weeks later. It felt like post pins and needles, where you get to the numb stage when it is coming to an end... Weird huh?

I asked a couple of people their thoughts and didn't really get anything. I eventually got an appointment at the GP. She knew my medical past and she said that the most likely cause is bruising to the nerve from when I lean on my elbow at work, which is sending tingles to my hand. Being over cautious, so also wanted to send me for a blood test to rule out other potential options. I tried to book one and, of course, it was a really long wait, and I would be seeing my haematologist before I could get a blood test at the GP.

I took the new blood form, along with my normal one to my pre consultation blood test. After some initial confusion from the phlebotomist, she took my blood, filling up 6 test tubes. The blood test felt more painful than normal. I felt very brave.

A week later, I was back in the waiting room, the same waiting room we waiting nearly 3 years ago to find out the dreaded news. The clinic was heaving. I always ask to see my doctor, rather than one of the other doctors in the clinic. He knows me very well. After an hour and a half delay (which is quite short in comparison to past appointments) I was eventually called in and the nerves kicked in. In the past, apart from when I was initially diagnosed, I had felt a bit nervous! Perhaps because of the results of the extra blood test... Who knows?!

It had been 6 months since my last appointment with my consultant and we had a short catch up. He informed me that all my bloods looked good and questioned why I had all the extra tests when he hadn't requested them. I explained the numb feeling in my hand and he assured me that it was nothing to do with the cancer or the treatment. He agreed with the GP that it was likely some sort of nerve damage from the way I lean on my desk at work. He suggested straightening out my arm and not leaning on my elbow... I shall try, but it's very comfy that way! If it persisted, he suggested getting referred to a neurologist. After that, he had his normal feel around for lumps around my neck, under-arms and groin. He couldn't feel anything, which is always a relief!

He was happy! At the next appointment, which is now 6 months away, I will be almost 3 years post transplant. Assuming nothing crops up, from then on my appointments will be annual, as apposed to every 6 months. That was the best news I could have hoped for! Full of relief, I headed back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment